142. MY LAST DAY AS COUNCILOR

                                               MY LAST DAY AS COUNCILOR
                                                               Dr. Troy Alexander G. Miano
                                                                                            08 October 2021

My Wife, Hon. Jasmin Cabang Lapuz-Miano, filed her third Certificate of Candidacy for Sangguniang Bayan Member of our beloved town Cabatuan this morning. If elected, she will hold the distinction of serving four consecutive terms under the Local Government Code of 1991 (Republic Act 7160). Her first term was an appointment to fill up the vacancy brought about by my resignation on September 15, 2015 to accept the appointment as Provincial Planning and Development Coordinator (PPDC) of Isabela. She served my unexpired term from October 14, 2015 up to June 30, 2016. In 2019, she served as an ex-officio member of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Isabela representing the Philippine Councilors League (PCL) for a couple of months being the Interim President of the Isabela Federation.

On October 7, 2015, six years ago and almost a month after I tendered my resignation, I was invited back in the august halls of the Sanggunian to deliver a valedictory speech during the regular session of the 18th batch of municipal legislators. The transcript reads:

“My sincere gratitude and thanks to the presiding officer, the Honorable Mario Isidro Acosta, for allowing this humble representation to hold a valedictory discourse focusing on the accomplishments for this term and for the past years. With the indulgence of the members of this august body, I will grab this rare opportunity to address the common Cabatuanenses, in the most formal manner such as this session, the deeds, performances, legislations and legacies I had humbly contributed to the prestigious Sangguniang Bayan of Cabatuan, Isabela in eleven years, two months and fifteen days.

The people of Cabatuan mandated me through an election to serve as their voice and soul in their direct and indirect needs. Direct needs in the form of personal financial assistance, monetary aid from local funds, technical advices and personal guidance. Indirect needs in the form of legislations. Legislations that changed the lives of the common tao. Legislations that uplifted the status of the yearning majority. And legislations that secured the promising future of the populace. This humble representation was one of the brains behind the crafting and passage of the much needed Resolutions on infrastructures, equipment & machineries, clean and green, environment, health & sanitation, agriculture & cooperative, barangay concerns, women, family & children, peace & order, social welfare, senior citizens, human resource development of LGU employees, youth affairs, sports development, trade & industry, education, and history, culture and the arts. Most of the Resolutions were granted and implemented and resulted into a positive change in the level of development of Cabatuan. And this term alone, this humble representation either introduced, sponsored or co-sponsored 106 Resolutions and either introduced, sponsored or co-sponsored 32 Ordinances, a feat only a few of the 114 Councilors who served Cabatuan since 1949 had achieved.”

“Landmark Municipal Ordinances worth mentioning are: Rabies Control Measures, Iodized Salt Program Implementation, Pellet Toy Gun Ban, Video Computer Games Machine Regulation, Videoke Sing-along Regulation, Establishment of Water Supply System, Internet Café/On-line Computer Games Center Regulation, New Stall Fees and Policies & Guidelines for Public Market, Citizen’s Charter of Cabatuan, Public Library Internet E-center Policies, Rules & Regulations, Food Court and Grocery & Dry Goods Section Policies & Guidelines, Palaro Champions Benefits, Academic Champions Benefits, New Traffic Rules and Regulations, Anti Aids Council Creation, Sanitation and Integrated Solid Wastes Management Code Amendments, Investment and Incentive Code, Environment Code, Gender and Development Code, Health Code, Pirated & Counterfeit Goods Ban, Mobile Baby Cono Permit, Death Defying Acts During Public & Private Occasions Ban, New Public Market Building Policies & Guidelines, Necrological Services for Municipal Officials, Philhealth Capitation Fund Creation, Dengue & Chikungunya Diseases Prevention, 3rd Friday of June as Municipal Arbor Day, naming and renaming of various public structures, and the creation of numerous plantilla items for LGU employees.”

“For four terms since 1998, I either chaired, co-chaired, vice chaired and was a member of various Committees which includes: Laws & Ethics, Human Rights, Revision of Laws and Civil Service Matters; Education & Culture; Trade & Industry; Youth & Sports; Health & Sanitation, Environmental Protection, Public Market & Slaughterhouse; Peace, Order & Public Safety; Public Works, Transportation & Communication; and Women, Family & Social Welfare.”

“For over a decade, I also functioned as the alter ego of three local chief executives (LCE) having held key positions in various executive councils which concerns youth & sports, education, health & sanitation, culture and the arts and clean and green. The most significant accomplishment of these functions were the Iskolar ng Bayan, institutionalization of the Kankanen Festival, Kankanen Festival Song, Kankanen Festival Day, Cabatuan Hymn, Cabatuan Tagline (Land of the Golden Grains) and the Sinilyasi, the award winning official folkdance of Cabatuan. In many instances, I also served as OIC mayor on dates the LCE was out-of-town.”

“This humble representation was also extra active in socio-cultural activities having led public occasions such as Independence Day Celebrations, Foundation Day Festivities and Patronal Town Fiestas worth mentioning was my directorship in 1999 and 2007. The most significant accomplishment during these public revelry is the institutionalization of the Cabatuan awards named as “Tan-ok Ti Cabatuan” and the annual recognition of Bar and PRC Board Passers from Cabatuan.”

“The President Ramon F. Magsaysay Municipal Library Building is one of my pet project inaugurated in 2001. I valiantly defended, against all odds, the establishment of the Cabatuan Water System in the year 2000 which is now the primary source of a potable water in the poblacion and six other barangays and still expanding. I initiated the showcase of photos of past municipal officials and gallery of former vice mayors now situated at the corridors of the second floor of our townhall and the Cabatuan Gallery of Histories at the municipal library. I, together with three other colleagues, were also behind the persuasive retaking of a public facility and lot formerly run by the Bureau of Telecommunications within the municipal compound which has now a pending structure for a Legislative Building.”

“Outside the halls of the Sanggunian, this humble representation, have faithfully represented our beloved Cabatuan in thousands of instances; promoting our people, advertising our municipality; and putting the magnificent name of Cabatuan into the map and limelight in all public occasions, seminars, conventions, and even simple gatherings outside this territory.”

“My career in Cabatuan as a local lawmaker, part-time executive, and social reformer earned me four major awards: the Outstanding Non-Government Organization (NGO) of Isabela Award in 1999 for heading the Cabatuan “Gintong Butil” Jaycees; Outstanding Councilor of Isabela Award in 2011, Outstanding Researcher of Isabela Award in 2013, and The Outstanding Councilor of the Philippines (TOCP) Award also in 2013.”

“All these accomplishments can never be made into reality without the unprecedented and generous assistance of the municipal employees, department heads and my co-elected municipal officials in this local government unit. In this regard, I would like to thank my colleagues in the Sangguniang Bayan in the 14th, 17th, 18th and 19th batch: Hon. Jaime V. Cadeliña, Hon. Amelia Flor G. Carreon, Hon. Edwin S. Santos, Hon. Roman B. Manibog, Jr., Hon. Jesse C. Suguitan, Hon. Septy D. De Belen, Hon. Eugene I. Acosta, Hon. Rodrigo A. Padron, Hon. Alfredo Y. Laurado, Hon. Bernardo A. Garcia, Jr., Hon. Marval S. Crisologo, Hon. Vilinda H. Bernardo, Hon. Leonardo C. Alivia, Hon. Renato J. Monte, Hon. Nita S. Uy, Hon. Chanda G. Uaje and the ex-officio members: Hon. Sergio A. Uy, Hon. Resty Ian A. Dacuycuy, Hon. Aizza A. Daquioag, Hon. Aries A. Calamayan, Hon. Santiago R. Ganal, Jr., Hon. Gregg Benedict I. Navarro, Hon. Benjamin Isabelo R. Dy and Hon. Jimmy V. Go for all of you became my partners in one way or the other in building a better Cabatuan.”

“I would also like to thank the four vice mayors who led the Council during my stint; Hon. Danilo C. Alivia (1998-2001), Hon. Hermogenes P. Asuncion (2007-2010), Hon. Rolando G. Velasco (2010-2013), and the incumbent Hon. Mario I. Acosta for all of you have molded me to be an effective legislator with your rulings, instructions, advices and fair supervision.”

“I would also like to thank the three mayors I worked with; Hon. Atanasio T. Dayrit, Jr. (1998-2001 & 2007-2010), Hon. Cid A. Dayrit (2010-2013), and the incumbent Hon. Charlton L. Uy for all of you had shaped me to be a seasoned local legislator and an A1 public servant.”

“I would like to thank all my relatives and immediate family: my dad, the late Mayor Narciso Y. Miano of Calbayog City and my mom former Vice Mayor Liliosa R. Gozum-Miano, my siblings: kuya Philip, Tara Kristine, Pamela Ann, Faye Therese, Cherry Concetta and Charisse Marcianne for always been supportive to my public service career. My special thanks to my wife, Jasmin, and my kids for always been there through thick and thin and for patronizing my convictions and belief.”

“I would like to thank the people of Cabatuan, for you are all my inspiration in delivering true and dedicated public assistance that resulted a positive change in our lives.”

“Lastly, I would like to thank the Lord Almighty for giving me this life and the chance to serve the people of Cabatuan in an elective capacity. He gave me the strength to endure the pains and scandals of politics; the heart to love the less fortunate and the needy; and the soul to rule what is right and wrong in the pursuit of a genuine public service.”

 “As I celebrate my 20th year in government career next year, I will modestly share to all of you my simple secret how I survived Cabatuan politics. It is because I centered my existence in the belief that “Service to Humanity Is the Best Work of Life”.

 “Maraming Salamat po!

Mabuhay ang bawat Cabatuanense!

Mabuhay ang Cabatuan!

Mabuhay ang Lalawigan ng Isabela!”

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

HISTORY OF THE PROVINCE OF ISABELA

98. HISTORY MONTH & BUWAN NG WIKA

99. SAMBALI OF CASIBARAG & LA JOTA ISABELA